Completed October 2016
– The Hawthorn U3A (University of the Third Age) is an adult education community organization, providing a range of courses, recreational activies and events for retired and semi-retired people.
– The facility is currently housed in the former Glen Iris Bowls Club pavilion and associated building, which are surrounded by parks and wetlands.
– The development works involved the construction of a new brick building and lightweight canopy that form a link between the two existing buildings. The refurbishment and extension allows for three additional classrooms, new amenities and a centrally located administration and reception area that acts as the heart of the centre.
– The renovations allow for greater flexibility in its use, a better social aspect for its users and create a stronger presence for the U3A within the local community.
– The new building references the brickwork of the existing structures, while the materiality and detailing offer a fresh and contemporary look.
– Renovation works also make better use of the outdoor areas with well-proportioned and sheltered areas for both social and learning functions and an activation of the facades that face onto these areas.