Completed November 2013
Prahran Market (City of Stonnington)
– The creation of Prahran Market’s ‘Harvest Hall’ included the refurbishment of the Fruit and Vegetable Hall and an upgrade of the existing waste area.
– The refurbishment created an open and vibrant market hall with reconfigured tenancies, clear aisle circulation, new entries, new floor finish and a new display kitchen.
– The tenancies were also given new operational features such as hot & cold water, cool rooms and upgraded lighting. The upgraded waste area implemented a new environmental waste management system which helps reduce waste, water usage and carbon emissions and increase recycling.
– The materials chosen are natural and raw which brings an earthy, rustic texture to the hall and allows the fresh colourful produce to stand out. Recyled pallets were used, creating a traditional market atmosphere.
– 1:1 Architects worked closely with market staff, vendors and users to create a complex schedule which would allow the market to function during the construction period.
– “It’s a fantastic place … delivered on time and on budget, the Harvest Hall is a welcome update for Melbourne’s longest continuously operating market” Stonnington Mayor Cr Matthew Koce